1. Expectations are reasonable when you're dealing with kids. The house doesn't have to be spotless, you can wear comfy clothes, and paper plates are more than okay.
2. You get to cook all of those foods that were too kitchy for your grown up swoirees. Pigs in a blanket, chips and dip, chili cheese dip and s'mores are kid pleasers....and I secretly love them too.
3. You can get rid of all the cookies, fudge and other goodies you've got leftover from Christmas. I'd rather have kids eat them than have them sitting around into January. And the kids will think you're a rockstar too.
4. You can have a few beers with no worries about trying to drive home...and no hangover in the morning.
5. The most surprising thing is, it's really a quiet evening. The kids entertain each other and there are plenty of new toys and electronic gadgets to play with. I even had time to write blog entry!
I have a feeling this kind of New Year's Eve party might become a tradition at our house.